Yam Pecan Pie in Ginger Snap Crust
1 1/4 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed, OR...
1 cup fresh mashed cooked sweet potatoes
2 eggs, divided
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 egg whites
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine gingersnap crumbs, butter, vanilla in pie plate, pressing up sides. Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven.
3. In mixing bowl, blend together yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crumb crust.
4. In mixing bowl, beat together remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar, vanilla until mixture is creamy. Stir in pecans.
5. Carefully spoon over yam layer. Bake 50-60 minutes or until filling is set around edges or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Cool, serve.
Terrific Tidbit: Place gingersnaps in a food processor or blender to process into fine crumbs.