Sweet Potato Beggars Purse with Goat Cheese and Pecans
4 Large Louisiana Sweet Potatoes (Peeled and cut into a large dice)
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary ( Lightly Chopped)
1 Small Shallot (Minced)
1 Stalks Celery (Small Diced)
1 Tbsp Dried Cranberries (optional)
Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
2 Oz Soft Goat Cheese (Crumbled)
1/4 Cup Pecans (chopped, toasted and cooled)
6 Sheets Frozen Phyllo Dough (thawed in refrigerator)
3 Tbsp. Melted Unsalted Butter
Long Stemmed Chives (For Tying)
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Smooth Dijon Mustard
Salt and Pepper (To Taste)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until very soft.
2. While sweet potatoes cook, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a medium frying pan over low heat. Add the garlic, shallots, cranberries, celery and rosemary and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very fragrant, and making sure celery is tender. Turn off heat.
3. Once the potatoes have finished cooking, drain them and transfer to a mixing bowl. Smash, using the back of a fork or a potato masher.
4. Fold in softly, the garlic, oil, shallots, cranberries, celery and rosemary mixture to potatoes.
5. Gently stir in the pecans and crumbled goat cheese (be careful not to stir too much - you want there to be little clumps and streaks of goat cheese).
1. Carefully unwrap the Phyllo pastry and unroll flat. Cover with a damp dish towel to prevent the dough from drying out.
2. Lay out a sheet of phyllo and brush it sparingly with melted butter.
3. Add a sheet on top of this one, brush with butter and repeat until you have 3 sheets.
4. Cut the sheet into 4 rectangles.
5. Place 1/3 cup into the middle of the rectangle.
6. Fold the centers of the sides inward to prevent the mixture from spilling out. Fold over and slightly twist each long end toward the center to create a cinched "purse" shape.
7. Take two or three long strands of chives and tie around each purse. Repeat with rest of mixture and sheets of phyllo pastry.
8. Place beggar's purses on an ungreased cookie sheet. When all purses on on the sheet, place the cookie sheet with purses in the freezer for 5-10 minutes, chilling until firm.
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for approximately 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven. Take a fresh long stemmed chive or two and tie around each purse. Serve hot.
1. In a small dish, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon dijon.
2. Salt and Pepper to taste.
3. Place in a squeeze bottle and drizzle a fancy zig-zag design onto bottom of plate.
4. Place purses and serve hot.
Credits: Samantha Schaffer.