Spiced Sweet Potato Squares with Brown Sugar Glaze
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt, plus more for glaze
1tablespoon minced candied ginger
1teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ cup sugar
1cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
3 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup canola oil
½ cup fat-free half-and-half, or milk
1 teaspoon rum extract
2 cups finely shredded peeled sweet potato
2/3 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup unsalted butter
½ teaspoon Madagascar bourbon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Garnish: chopped toffee, toasted pecan
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch metal baking pan with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ¾ teaspoon salt, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and ½ cup brown sugar.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, half-and-half, and rum extract; add to flour mixture, and stir until combined. Add sweet potato and pecans, and stir until combined. Spread into prepared pan.
4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes; transfer to a wire rack, and let stand until warm.
5. In a small nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat, add cream, butter, vanilla, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and remaining ½ cup brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and continue stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
6. Pour glaze evenly over cake, and garnish with toffee and pecans. Let stand until glaze sets. Cut into squares.
Credits: Donna Pochoday-Stelmac