Southwestern Veggie Quinoa Bowl
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup chopped onion
1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
1 cup chopped peeled sweet potato
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground chili powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups salsa
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 cup reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In medium nonstick pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook, covered about 17-20 minutes or until water absorbed and quinoa cooked. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in large nonstick pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, bell pepper, sweet potato, and garlic until tender, about 5-7 minute or until tender. Add chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
4. To vegetables, add cooked quinoa, black beans, salsa, and cilantro.
5. Transfer quinoa mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Terrific Tip: Chicken may be added if you want a heartier meal. Garnish with diced avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 250, Calories from Fat 21%, Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 12mg, Sodium 600mg, Carbohydrates 36g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Total Sugars 6g, Protein 12g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 lean meat
Recipes from: Holly Clegg
The Healthy Cooking Blog