DessertsBack to Recipes
- Appetizers & Snacks
- Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest
- Side Dishes
- Main Dishes
Tropical Yam Trifle
An explosion of tropical flavors comes together for a spectacular finish with the showstopper rifle that is light, refreshing and absolutely marvelous. I promise one taste of this dessert will "wow" you!
12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 (5-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 (16-ounce) angel food cake, cut into cubes
2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed, or 2 cups fresh sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons flaked coconut, divided
1 (8-ounce) container frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
1 tablespoon flaked coconut, toasted
1 tablespoon chopped pecans, toasted
Makes 12-16 servings.
1. In large bowl, beat together cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Gradually, add evaporated milk and coconut extract, mixing until creamy. Fold cubed angel food cake into cream cheese mixture, set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat together yams, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla until creamy.
3. In trifle bowl or large glass bowl, layer 1/2 angel cake mixture, 1/2 yam mixture, 1 tablespoon coconut, 1/2 whipped topping. Repeat layers.
4. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut and pecans. refrigerate, serve.
Per serving: Calories 257, Calories from fat 18%, Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 276mg, Carbs 47g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 25g, Protein 5g, Diabetic Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate, 1 fat
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.