DessertsBack to Recipes
- Appetizers & Snacks
- Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest
- Side Dishes
- Main Dishes
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Bundt Cake with Orange Glaze
The natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with a cinnamon streusel and citrus glaze creates one amazing cake.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar, divided
2 egg whites
1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained ans mashed or cup cooked, mashed fresh sweet potatoes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Makes 16-20 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat nonstick Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, egg, egg whites until light and fluffy. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to mixing bowl alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add vanilla.
4. In another bowl, combine pecans with remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
5. Spread on-third of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half pecan topping. Repeat layers ending with final one-third of batter. Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 6. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. In small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Drizzle over warm cake.
Terrific Tidbit: When a recipe calls for canned sweet potatoes, fresh may also be used.
Per serving: Calories 225, Calories from fat 28%, Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 23mg, Sodium 155mg, Carbs 37g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 20g, Protein 4g, Diabetic Exchanges: 2 1/2 carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.