DessertsBack to Recipes
- Appetizers & Snacks
- Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest
- Side Dishes
- Main Dishes
Sweet Potato Flan Cake
2009 Youth Sweet Potato Cake and Pie Contest Winner
3 cups DOMINO Granulated Sugar, divided
3 cups whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup sweet potato juice (takes 1 large sweet potato)
1 tsp of All Spice
? cup sweetened condensed milk
1 (3oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1. Sprinkle 1 cup sugar into a medium skillet. Place over medium heat, and cook, shaking pan often until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown. Quickly pour syrup into a 12-cup Bundt while tilting it to coat bottom and 1 ? inches up sides; set aside. (Mixture may crack as it cools.
2. Stir together whipping cream and vanilla in a large bowl. Process 6 large eggs, next 5 ingredients, and remaining 2 cups sugar in a blender just until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides (do not over process). Stir egg mixture into cream mixture.
3. Pour custard over caramelized sugar in Bundt pan, and place in a large roasting pan on oven rack. Pour hot water into roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in deepest portion comes out almost clean. Remove Bundt pan from water. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours. Loosen edges from Bundt pan with a thin knife, and invert carefully onto a serving plate.
Garnish, if desired
Makes 12 servings
Takes about 30 min. to make, 1 ? hrs to bake and 8 hours to cool
Garnishes: fresh blackberries, raspberries, and mint leaves