Bruce's Sweet Potato Empanadas
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Masa Harina
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Melted then Cooled
1/2 Cup Water May Not Need All
1 Large Egg for Wash
16 Ounces Bruce's Mashed Sweet Potato
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Cream
1/2 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
For the Dough:
1. In large bowl, sift flour, masa harina, salt, and baking powder.
2. Stir in the butter, then gradually add the water and mix the dough with hands until it is easy to handle and not to sticky, you may not need to use all of the water. Once dough is mixed form into ball and split into four individual balls and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes before using.
3. After 30 minutes remove one ball at a time from the refrigerator and roll to 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Once dough is 1/8 inch thick use a four inch cookie cutter and cut circles out of the dough you should be able to cut four or five circles out of one ball of dough.
4. Place 1 teaspoon of cooled filling in the middle of the dough, (recipe follows) brush the edges with egg wash. Then fold one side of the dough over the other side to make a half moon, and seal the edges with a fork. Freeze for at least 1 hour before cooking.
5. To cook deep fry in 350? F oil for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
1. Place mash into medium sauce pan add sugar, nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon, heat on low for about five minutes, then add cream and bring to a soft boil.
2. Mix 1/2 cup water with 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and add it to the boiling mixture stir until thick.
3. Place mixture into refrigerator and allow filling to cool completely.
Credits: Recipe courtesy of Bruce Foods
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1-2 minutes
Yield: 10-15 (3.25?) empanadas