Baby Batata Burritos with Chimichurri
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
6 ounces fresh chorizo, casing removed and meat crumbled
⅔ cup mashed sweet potato
¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, divided
24 wonton wrappers
½ cup firmly packed fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped shallot
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup olive oil
1. In a large skillet, place oil and chorizo, and cook over medium high heat until browned and cooked through. Drain chorizo on a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine chorizo, sweet potato, cheese, and 1 teaspoon oregano.
3. Take a wonton wrapper and dampen all edges with water. Place 1 teaspoon of chorizo mixture in the lower middle of the wrapper. Fold “burrito-style,” sealing all the edges. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers. Place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Spray burritos with nonstick cooking spray, and bake until browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine parsley, oregano, shallot, garlic, remaining 1 tablespoon, salt, peppers, vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Pulse until combined but chunky. Serve burritos with chimichurri sauce. Credits: Susan Mason.